I spoke to the students and doctors of Ziauddin University at Dr. Ziauddin Hospital, North Nazimabad, Karachi on Saturday, 24 June 2017 about careers in the UK.
Contents of the Session
I discussed the following during the session:
- Objectives of the session
- FCPS pathway to the UK.
- Training structure in Pakistan.
- The importance of completing internship (House Job) in the home country.
- Whether working abroad is a good idea.
- Training structure in the UK.
- Training opportunities in the UK.
- Pathways for working in the UK.
- The UKMLA.
- Comparison of PLAB with USMLE, MRCP and the UKMLA.
- If it is better to go for MRCP instead of PLAB.
- Roadmap for PLAB.
- Visa homework.
- Which IELTS should be taken.
- How to study for IELTS.
- Study material for IELTS.
- What PLAB 1 is like.
- How to study for PLAB 1.
- Study material for PLAB 1.
- Why PLAB 1 is so easy.
- My PLAB 1 experience.
- Visa for PLAB 2.
- Mistakes which should be avoided for visa applications.
- What PLAB 2 is like.
- How to study for PLAB 2.
- Academies for PLAB 2.
- My PLAB 2 experience.
- Why PLAB 2 is so easy.
- How to get registered with the GMC.
- Finding jobs in the UK.
- Why it is so easy to find jobs in the UK.
- My experience of job hunting in the UK.
- Comparison of the NHS with the NES.
- Total expenditure on PLAB.
- Total expenditure on moving to the UK.
- Pay scales in the UK.
- Working hours in the UK.
- Taxation in the UK.
- Why the UK being a welfare state matters.
Dr. Ahmed Fawad
Associate Director Academics
Oncology Seminar Room at Dr. Ziauddin Hospital, North Nazimabad.
24 June 2017.
15:00 to 17:00.
Facebook Event Page
You can visit the Facebook event page here.