Reading Time: 2 minutes
This article is to guide people working in the UK who are applying for a visit visa for their families for the first time. The general rule is to keep the application simple.
When is it needed?
This visa might be needed when you are inviting your parents to the UK. You can invite your spouse and children on Tier 2 dependent visa.
You can use the new or the old service. Your choice of service will not affect the chances of visa clearance. The new service is simpler. But I am more familiar with the old service. Hence, I prefer the old service. You can fill out the application yourself from the UK. Your family will submit their documents at their local Visa Application Center.
How to Apply
The new service is straightforward. However, if you are using the old service, you will select the following options:
- Reason for Visit: Visit
- Visa Type: Tourism
- Visa Sub Type: Visit – tourism – 6 months
- 6 months – £93.
- 2 years – £350
- 5 years – £636
- 10 years – £798
Application Processing Time
From Pakistan, it takes 2 to 4 weeks for the UKVI to process the application.
As for any visa, your family will need to show the following:
- That they will leave the UK at the end of their visit.
- That there are enough funds to support their visit.
- That there is an accommodation arranged for their visit.
1. How to Show That Your Family Will Leave at the End of the Trip?
They will need to show strong ties to their home country to be able to prove this. These strong ties can be the following:
2. How to Show Funds for the Trip?
Follow the same guidelines for finances as for any other visa. You will probably have the following three options:
- Your family could sponsor their trip themselves.
- You can sponsor their trip.
- The trip can be jointly sponsored by your family and you.
Ideally, the total cost of the trip should be a small fraction of the total amount of money available for this trip.
3. How to Show Accommodation?
If you have a two-bedroom place, you can show your own home as the accommodation for your family. If not, you will have to get a place booked, to arrange accommodation.
You will need to attach documents to prove everything stated in your application. You can go through the Useful Links mentioned below to check the documents I attached for my parents’ visit visa application.
- My Letter of Support
- My List of Documents
- My Father’s Cover Letter
- My Father’s Affidavit
- My Father’s List of Documents
- My Mother’s Cover Letter
- My Mother’s Affidavit
- My Mother’s List of Documents
Frequently Asked Questions1. How early can I apply for Visit Visa?
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before the travel.
2. How much money should I have to apply for my family's Visit Visa?
There is no specific amount of money that you need to have for this. As stated above, ideally, the total cost of the trip should be a small fraction of the total amount of money available in the bank account.
3. How long can we stay in the UK on a visit visa?
Even if the visa is granted for 2, 5 or 10 years, the maximum duration for which one can stay in the UK on each visit is for 6 months.