The annual retention fee for GMC registration is £425. This means that we must pay £425 every year to the GMC to retain our licence to practice in the UK. However, there are some conditions under which we can get discounts for this fee.
Discounts and Refunds
You can apply for GMC registration fee discount (or refund) under the following conditions:
1. For Fresh Graduates
If you graduated from your medical school within the last five years, your GMC registration fee would be considerably less. You can read more about it here.
2. If Total Earning is Less Than £32,000
If your total income within your first year of GMC registration is less than £32,000 you can apply for a refund of half of your registration fee. You will get a refund of £212.5. You can click on this official GMC link to get more information.
How to Apply for GMC Registration Fee Refund
- Log into your GMC Online account.
- Click on My Account.
- Click on Income Discount.
- Click on Apply.
- Tick the box and click on Next.
- Click on Other.
- Write the following in the box, “I started working at (the name of your UK hospital) on (the date on which you started working). This is my first job in the UK. My GMC annual retention fee is due on (the date). By then, I would have worked only for (the number of months) months and my total income would be less than £32,000.”
- Click on Next.
- Follow the remaining self-explanatory steps.
- Guide others about this.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How would the GMC refund this amount?
It would be refunded into the same bank/credit card account through which the fee was initially paid.
2. How long does the GMC take to refund this amount?
The GMC refunded my fee within two working days.